When we were out of rice for the stir fry, the babe sprung into action and let intuition lead the way, and it turned out pretty tasty. The flavors meld together well and it uses hoisin, one of my favorites. I asked for a recipe and I received… and here it is!
Note: I initially thought this was vegan, but oyster sauce is not vegan – or even vegetarian. Apparently, there’s a vegan oyster sauce that’s made of mushrooms, so I’d guess you could substitute that ingredient, and this is a vegan dish!
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 Tbsp hoisin
- 1 Tbsp THAI Chili Sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice wine or sherry
- 1 medium onion (white or yellow), diced
- 1-2 bell peppers (any color), sliced into strips
- 1 or 2 carrots, sliced on a diagonal
- 1/2 lb green beans, ends removed, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 cup (red) bulgur – not that I know the difference yet
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat 2 Tbsp Olive oil in pan or wok. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add rice wine or sherry to onion and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes and add 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- Add vegetables and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil and ground pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, or until softened. Add sauces, saute until tender.
- Add bulgur and vegetable stock, bring to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.